Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How can sit ups help my child to write?

I'll have to admit that I was surprised to hear that something as simple as crawling through one of those playground "tubes" would help my child be able to write better. I read it online while researching Sensory Processing Disorder. I'll call him R5. R5 has never been able to write and when he did, it was very, very light. This is one of his symptoms of Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). R5 would tell us that he had drawn a picture but we couldn't see it. He would say, "But it is right there!" He is going to physical therapy and occupational therapy. The physical therapy helps with gross motor while the occupational helps with fine motor. The gross motor develops faster than the fine motor. Today, his homework from physical therapy was sit ups and push ups. He has learned how to ride a bike, climb a rock wall, and walk on a balance beam. His handwriting and drawing is coming along but he will tell you it is "scribble scrabble". For now, we will do push ups and sit ups and maybe my tummy will get some benefit from exercising too! We have a Wii system and perhaps we can find Wii fit somewhere like shipgoodwill.com. Have you checked out shopgoodwill.com? They have tons of stuff in an auction format. I have seen baccarat crystal and cole haan shoes to name a couple.

1 comment:


Click here to join