Friday, March 5, 2010

We are family!!

This post is not about Sensory Processing Disorder but about family.  My blog is evolving which many probably do.  I just came back from the Youngstown, Ohio area.  My mother, my sister, my niece, and I flew there to visit my aunt who has what she calls "the disease".  She has cancer but none of us are sure what kind as she is a very private person.  May God be with her. 

While we were there, my mom and I also were able to meet and visit with relatives of mine that I found through my genealogy research.  My father's sister was adopted out of the family at the age of about 18 months.  When I was about 12, I noticed a picture on the shelf of a three year old boy and an 18 month old girl.  I asked about the picture and was told "That is your father and his sister.  She was given up for adoption".  We knew the name of the family that adopted her but that was all (or so I thought).  After asking more questions, I found out my aunt's married name as well as her maiden name.  I have been doing genealogy research ever since I stopped working outside of the home.  I ordered a copy of a social security application that I thought might belong to my aunt.  It was!!  Sadly though, by the time I found her, she had passed away. 

Another cousin who I found through genealogy research helped me to locate one of my aunt's son's.  These are the only cousins on my dad's side so I really wanted to find them.  Fast forward to this week.  I was able to meet my cousin, his four sons, their wives, and their children.  It felt like we had known each other all of our lives and we plan to stay in touch.  On the way out of the restaurant where we had dinner was a sign which read something like"  ENTER AS STRANGERS, LEAVE AS FRIENDS.  Amazing!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment


Click here to join