Friday, April 30, 2010

The Out of Sync Child

Well, I am still reading "The Out of Sync Child" by Carol Stock Kranowitz.  Specifically, I have gotten to the section about the visual sense and problems with visual discrimination.  I was reading and made it to the section with the checklist.  (Each section of this book has a checklist which is very helpful for parents, teachers, doctors, and therapists).  Anyway, the two symptoms that jumped out at me were:

- Have difficulty with schoolwork involving the size of letters, the spacing of letters and words on the line, and the lining up of numbers (form constancy).  The child may reverse letters ("b/d") or words ("saw/was") while reading and writing

- Be a poor speller 

This was one of those "aha" or "light bulb" moments again.  (I have had many of those since learning about Sensory Processing Disorder.)  All along, I had thought R4 had dyslexia when that she has is problems with visual discrimination.  I forwarded this information to R4's teacher and the teacher forwarded it to the school counselor and the school's dyslexia teacher!!  What an awesome school and school district we have!!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Tex Joyce, Those "Aha!" moments are really important! Thanks for blogging about how "The Out-of-Sync Child" has enlightened you. I am glad that my books are reaching parents like you. You may be interested to know that this very day, May 4, another book for parents has just been published. Joye Newman (a perceptual motor therapist) and I co-authored "Growing an In-Sync Child: Simple, Fun Activities to Help Every Child Develop, Learn and Grow" (Perigee). Our new "insyncchild.com" website will go up any minute now. Please come visit. -- With warm regards, Carol Kranowitz

    ReplyDelete


Click here to join