Friday, May 14, 2010

Be an SPD ambassador!! :)

I was buying my daughter a pair of Van's shoes today.  Yes, my daughter "R4" will only wear slip-on shoes.  The sales lady told me about her struggle with socks as a child.  I told her about R4 and she went on to tell me about some of her own issues...sock trouble as a child, not liking to be touched by peers, food issues.  I told her that her quirks actually have a name..you guessed it..Sensory Processing Disorder.  I said that I am sure there is therapy no matter the age.  I like being a Sensory Processing Disorder ambassador.  After that I went to Lakeshore Learning Store to purchase some items to help both of my children.  I explained that my son "R5" has trouble with numbers.  I purchased some cards with numbers on them.  The numbers have a sandpaper texture so that he can learn using his tactile sense.  I also bought some finger paint for him as he hates writing utensils...we will finger paint his numbers and letters.  R4 just tested at a 10 year old level and she is 8.  Her problem is with spelling.  So I bought some word building blocks that resemble legos.  I think they will both benefit from these.  R4 wlll be stylin' in her new shoes and I will be using creative ways to teach R5 his numbers and help R4 with her spelling.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I see you are blogging about SPD, and wanted to invite you to join the SPD Blogger Network! If you are interested, visit my blog and click the link at the top of the page -- it will give you the instructions!

    Hope to have you join,
    Hartley
    www.hartleysboys.com

    ReplyDelete


Click here to join