Friday, June 25, 2010

Summer time and the livin' is easy....

So I took my son to swimming lessons this week.  He definitely needs to learn how to swim.  Here in Houston, it is HOT and we spend a lot of time in the pool during the summer.  We found a teacher who is known as "The Swim Nazi" because we have taken lessons at the Y two summers in a row and all R5 did was smile at the teacher and then they would pull him around the pool.  No more coddling at swimming lessons and seems to be making some progress.  One more week of lessons and maybe he will swim in the pool without a pool noodle.  At 6 years old, he should be able to.

Today, while I was sitting at swimming lessons, there was another mother there with her 3 year old son.  He appeared to have his own sensory issues.  He did not like anyone looking at him or talking to him.  The child had never been to mother's day out and still drinks out of a bottle.  He would not even let his own grandmother take him for a walk without crying the whole time.  His grandmother appeared very nice too.  My question is, should I tell people like this about SPD or should I leave well enough alone?  I did tell her about my son's sensory issues but I left it at that.  I also told her that it appeared that her son had sensory issues of his own.  Maybe she will look it up on the internet herself?  I did not want to bee TOO pushy but it pains me to see kids like this who could blossom!

2 comments:

  1. It's always the big question for me. I tend to hold back and say things like "oh, my son does that too" or something like that to open up the conversation. If they take the bait, then I share more. If not, then they aren't ready yet, in my opinion.
    Alysia
    http://www.trydefyinggravity.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i ask that question so often. my son also has the 'don't look at me/don't talk to me' times. he is a very outgoing and social kid...but when he gets hurt or uncomfortable/embarrassed he does this and i wonder if i should explain to others about his sensitivities or just say 'it is none of their business'. those that are closest to us, grandparents, our sons friends etc are told on a need to know basis.
    my son will sometimes feel overwhelmed and ask to go and lie down to calm his senses. this isn't new to us, but to 'outsiders' they are thinking what is this kid doing? so i guess, to recap my long answer....i tell those that i feel need to know (so maybe the swim teacher if you feel that your son or the teacher could benefit from them knowing about his spd).

    ReplyDelete


Click here to join