Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Wabi-sabi and our SPD children

Have any of you heard of the Japanese concept of Wabi-sabi?  Wabi-sabi (?) represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" Koren, Leonard (1994). Wabi-Sabi for Artists, Designers, Poets and Philosophers. Stone Bridge Press. ISBN 1-880656-12-4.  When I first read about this concept, I thought of my two children with SPD.  They are so wonderfully imperfect!!  Also, I realize that recently, I have been thinking of life in this way...nothing is perfect!  My home will never be perfect, my family will never be perfect, and I will never be perfect.  Let's all embrace our imperfect kids and their quirks.  Yes, they are different.  Yes, they have different personalities than other children.  So what?  Nothing is perfect. :)

1 comment:

  1. Saying HEY from Friday Follow.
    Of course we follow you through GFF, please make sure to stop in and do the same for us :)
    http://momtobedby8.blogspot.com/

    Psss.... We also have an iPad giveaway going on right now 7/2!
    http://momtobedby8.blogspot.com/2010/06/apple-ipad-giveaway-yes-i-said-ipad.html

    ReplyDelete


Click here to join